Sunday 12 July 2015

'Nightmares' and 'It's Night Time'

Hello There

Kate here again.
Hope you have all been safe and well and enjoying a bit if sunshine.
Thank you very much for the Re-blogs, RTs & Likes on my blogs and on Twitter.
Very kind of you all to take the time to read and comment. It is very much appreciated.

Blogs
katemcclelland01.blogspot.com
katemcclelland01.wordpress.com
Magazine.ReadersDoor.com

Twitter
@katemcclelland7

I thought I would post two very different poems today. Both have ‘night’ as their theme, but separate ends of the spectrum.
'Nightmares' – I used to suffer from nightmares a lot when I was younger. A  vivid imagination plus a scary book not a good conbination!
'It’s Night time' – I love the garden at dusk – so peaceful and calm. Walking barefoot across cool green grass and standing under the trees, listening to the sounds of night – so soothing.

Nightmares
The withered old crone
All in raggedy black, cackling
Sits on top of my window seat
A grimacing monochrome harlequin
Pulling at my bed clothes

A disembodied hand at my feet
Claws its way to my pillow
A wraith all in white
Hides against an inky shadow
They seem to move together
A stilted ‘Danse Macabre’

A scratching sound under my bed
Clawing at the bedstead
The flame orange eyes
Of an owl pierce through
The night window, looking for prey

A half glimpse of a tar-black imp
In the dark corner of the room
Nightmares ride against me
Through the black long hours of dark
Like the ebony horse of Fear himself

Until I’m wrung through with sweat
And wracked with the pain of constant fright
Wishing for the dawn
To be saved by the golden daylight

Fearing that nothing will save me
But hoping, still hoping
It will all go away at the lance-like
Piercing golden flame of day
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

It’s Night Time

It’s night time
Telly is boring
So I slip off my slippers
And go out into my garden

I stand under the shelter
Of the Elderflower tree
I close my eyes
And feel my feet
Sink into the grass
Melding me with my surroundings

It starts to lightly rain
The sound of the raindrops
Hypnotically and rhythmically
Fall around me
The slight rustle and shiver
Of the shawl of leaves I wear
Are a soothing balm
To my fire cracker nerves

Calmness falling as rain
Cool & soothing rhythms
Syncopate their way through
My skull easing my mind

A balm to my soul
A mini Eden in a city metropolis
© Kate McClelland 2015

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment