Monday 6 July 2015

'Migraine' and 'A Bubble in Time'

Hello There

Kate here again.
Hope you have all been safe and well.

Thanks very much for the Re-blogs, RTs & Likes on my blogs and on Twitter. Also very grateful for the lovely comments you have left for me.
They are very much welcomed and appreciated.

Blogs
katemcclelland01.blogspot.com
katemcclelland01.wordpress.com
Magazine.readersdoor.com
Twitter
@katemcclelland7

I don't know whether you suffer migraines like I do, but I wrote a poem about one I had this weekend which was my first in quite sometime  (I'm blaming overexposure of my cranium to the sun the day before).
My sympathies to anyone who suffers from chronic migraines.
I know it seems odd to write a poem about it, but writing it helped me block some of it out.
If you don't have them yourself, it might give you a little idea of how bad they can be. It's not a 'headache' it's an electrical brain explosion which effects your eyesight, concentration and balance.

The poem is called 'Migraine' (I know - stretched myself to come up with that title!)

To counterbalance this, I have also posted a poem called 'A Bubble in Time'

I hope you like them

Best wishes
Kate x


Migraine


I lie in the blacked-out room

Cold, wet flannel draped across my forehead

Bucket strategically placed on one side of the bed

Glass of water on the window ledge at my head

Medicated to just above the ‘recommended daily limit’

Even now in this darkened abyss

In my mind’s eye and striking every optical nerve

Like a mad, jester harpist

Jagged multi-coloured neon lights

Flash eye-wateringly sharp

Against the black - like broken shards of glass

Searing through my frontal cortex

Piercing the comfortable darkness

Like a knife in the eye

I can’t bear the daylight

I can’t stand up as it feels like

I’m on board a heaving sea vessel

Lurching, equilibrium smashed against the rocks of pain

I can’t read my beloved books

As the words swim like little black tadpoles

In and out of focus

Quivering like a bad 1950’s ‘flashback’ special effect

The sharp pain makes me wince

An invisible vice has my skull crushed in its grip

Until it feels like I am actually upside down

My cranium being pounded by ‘brain lightening’

Waves of nausea and vertigo roll across my body

Stomach feels like I’ve eaten a kilo of cottage cheese

Bloated and still churning in its acid bath

Ready to burst forth lava-like from my protesting innards

As the bile rises and falls with each episode
 
Migraine – I hate you 


A Bubble in Time

If I could make a bubble in time

I’d take us both inside

Where we’d be safe

From prying eyes

And everyday life

Like twinned stars in the Universe

Dancing a waltz or two

To the sound of a musical box band

An enduring ‘par de deux’

And see the stars as they were

A billion years ago

Within this bubble all alone

The ‘Wheel of Ages’ would rest

And eternally we would be

Drifting in our shiny bubble

Floating in timeless primordial space

© Kate McClelland 2015


Kate McClelland

No comments:

Post a Comment