Tuesday 19 May 2015

Nightmares

Hello There
Kate here

Hope you are having a great day

Wanted to say thanks to all of the people who have read my poetry/short story blog. Much appreciated. Also thanks to all the people who clicked the 'follow' button, or followed me back - again, much appreciated.

Thought I would post one of my poems today.
It's called 'Nightmares' it's about nightmares I had as a child.
I had a vivid imagination and sometimes I scared myself half to death with scary thoughts when it was dark.
Have you experienced this? Can you share a nightmare you have had with me?

Nightmares

The withered old crone
All in raggedy black, cackling
Sits on top of my window seat
A grimacing monochrome harlequin
Pulling at my bed clothes
A disembodied hand at my feet
Claws its way to my pillow
A wraith all in white
Hides against an inky shadow
They seem to move together
A stilted ‘Danse Macabre’
A scratching sound under my bed
Clawing at the bedstead
The flame orange eyes
Of an owl pierce through
The night window, looking for prey
A half glimpse of a tar-black imp
In the dark corner of the room
Nightmares ride against me
Through the black long hours of dark
Like the ebony horse of Fear himself
Until I’m wrung through with sweat
And wracked with the pain of constant fright
Wishing for the dawn
To be saved by the golden daylight
Fearing that nothing will save me
But hoping, still hoping
It will all go away at the lance-like
Piercing golden flame of day


© Kate McClelland 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment